Saturday, February 22, 2014

A view from the trenches

After handling criminal defense appeals for the last several years, I recently transferred to a public defender office.  This move will involve being at the courthouse on a daily basis.  Naturally, that change in positions has brought a new perspective when reading and analyzing recent federal and state decisions. 

With this different viewpoint,  my blog posts will aim to discuss the possible impact that cases may have on those practicing in the courtroom.  In other words, a review of recent appellate decisions from the trial lawyer's point of view.

The posts will range from simple courtroom practices to substantial changes in criminal law.  Along the way, I hope these posts will include trial practice discussions regarding pre-trial motions, jury instructions, closing arguments.  If nothing else, I write to educate myself and those who are along side me in the trenches.   

No comments: