Sunday, January 07, 2007

Home again

I had a great time in DC and will blog more about the conference later. I had hoped to keep in better contact, but (literally within a half hour of my last entry) I dropped my laptop and busted the wireless card plugged into the back of it. So I was sans internet for the rest of the week (which isn't all bad).

On the last day, I had a couple of hours before I had to head off to the airport, so I took the Metro down to the National Archives. I had been there a couple of years ago, but had heard that it had opened a new permanent interactive exhibit. It is called "The Public Vaults." I HIGHLY recommend this exhibit if you have a couple of hours to spare (or more). It has a wide variety of topics. On the serious side, you can see the first couple of pages of Clarence Gideon's handwritten cert petition. (If you are asking "Who's Clarence Gideon?" I demand that you stop what you are doing, go buy a copy of Gideon's Trumpet, and read it immediately!) On the lighter side, there was a display of letters to presidents including one that read "Dear Mr. President, this morning my mother declared that my room was a disaster area. Could I apply for federal funds to help clean it up?"

BTW, the Archives also display original copies of the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights. I stopped and all of the Bill of Rights are still there, despite what the Administration would have us believe.

No comments: